[Update: I have now switched to a star-based rating system, here’s how it works. The guide to old ratings is below that.]
I give an overall score. It’s probably within 0.5 of what I think of the release, but you don’t need to take it too seriously.
I kinda rate by instinct, but this takes into account things such as vocal performance, instrumentation, arrangement etc. However, song enjoyment can override these to some extent.
The star rating system is meant to be a bit harsher than the old one, so expect to see lower scores.
Each track (but not short/filler interlude pieces) gets a score between 1 and 10, where
- 10 is a perfect song, or has flaws so minor they don’t affect the listening experience
- 5 is boring but not offensive, or has good and bad points balancing each other out
- 1 is probably the worst song ever written. I haven’t given any song this score yet….
I’m not going to publish the individual scores though.
Then the single/mini/album gets an overall rating. This is decided by finding the mean of all individual scores. However, albums can get a an additional score between 0 and 1 added on if they have lots of 10s. The score is capped at 10, and rounded to the nearest 0.5.
So the overall ratings will reflect on all the songs:
- 10 is a perfect single, or almost perfect album
- 5 is either bland, or has a mix of great and horrid songs
- 1 is so ear-piercingly bad that I wouldn’t even bother to review it, so you won’t be seeing any of those🙂