Sooooo… I kind of felt in a ballad-y mood and thought I’d make a post about some really good Japanese ballads. Here goes, they’re in no particular order of favouritism.
abingdon boys school:
- More power ballads than normal ballads, but you should not miss out on Takanori Nishikawa’s powerful vocals on Nephilim and From Dusk Till Dawn.
- Give a listen to these two: the beautiful Gekkou Symphonia with her brother AIKI and the slightly discordant synths of Suashi.
- Listen and be amazed by the vocals on Ashita e no Sanka orchestral arranged version, and the no less amazing RED CLIFF ~Shin Sen~. How can someone be that good a singer? 😦
- I’m rather a fan of her orchestral-rock track Revise the World.
- My favourite Ayane song is her ballad Tada Nagaruru Mama ni.
- At time of writing, Sakura Nagashi from the third Evangelion movie is my favourite ballad, it’s so emotionally powerful, plus Hikaru Utada sings brilliantly.
- Surely HIMEKA is one of the queens of ballads. Her voice is perfect for them. I love her cover of VOICES from her Love Anison album and Echoes from her single Where I Belong (I could only find a NicoNico short of the second one unfortunately).
- Kalafina are well known for their beautiful ballads. Some of my favourites are Fairytale, Seventh Heaven and Hikari Furu.
- KOKIA seems to be one of those artists who only does ballads. I can’t say I’m her greatest fan, but I love the deep strings of Womoi.
- Our favourite symphonic metal opera singer is no slouch at ballads. Give this piano/operatic ballad a try – A Wish.
- Fate/Zero’s ED Sora wa Takaku Kaze wa Utau is sweet if you ask me.
- MELL is mostly known for her blend of trance and rock, but she does have an excellent song in On My Own. She’s damn good live too :-), pity she’s on hiatus.
- T.M.Revolution is a master of ballads. With his vibrato, control and feeling, he’s produced wonders like the UNDER:COVER version of THUNDERBIRD, which is one of my favourites!!! Not as good live here as in studio but… the pianist’s hair ❤
- Lots of people like Love Will Be Born Again, but I prefer The Umbrella Of Glass from their album Jubilee.
- Recent, I know… but I love Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai.
- Minna-san, let’s all jump on the goth train please. I love her Phantasm ballads Hallelujah no Fukuin and EUPHORIA ~Tsugunai no Requiem~.
Bleaaaaahhh that was long. Did I say I was in a ballad-y mood? That has left now actually :-P.
Of course, I’m sure I’ve forgotten many. Maybe you can remind me of some, or introduce me to some new ones. What are your favourite ballads?